Black Friday is coming up in only a few scant weeks! Are you excited yet? ‘Tis the season for getting insane deals for lots of crap you may not need or want! But…it’s on sale! As a training exercise for the big day, I’m going to show you how to take advantage of all that the internet can offer. I’m going to show you an example of how to multiply your savings using different tricks. Keep in mind this is just an example, and doesn’t apply to all items you’d purchase online, but this is what you should be trying to achieve every time you buy something! Behold! *
* Item shown not expected to be available past 10/12/13. It’s merely shown as an example.
Finding an Item
OK, so let’s use an expensive item to drive home the point more aggressively. I’m in the market for a new electric range. There happens to be one on sale at SEARS for $674.99 (originally $899.99).
Hey, not too shabby. But we can do better than that!
Bigcrumbs is offering up to 4.9% for all purchases (however, in this case appliances only give 1.4% cash back). Still, every little piece counts.
OK, still with me? We’re not done. The next thing you should do is check to see if there are any additional coupons that you can use. I use retailmenot.com because…they are the best coupon site I’ve found. Used them for years with no problems, and they normally have up-to-date and exclusive coupons.
So what coupons do we have available…hmm?
Well, that looks good! An extra $50 off! In this case, the coupon code is: 50OFF300 (if you wanted more than one appliance, that 10% extra doesn’t seem so shabby either). So how does it look now?
Sweet, that drops it to $624.99 (remember it was originally $899.99). Phew…the sad thing is, we’re just getting started! There’s still a lot more to whittle down.
The next step is POINTS. Depending on the retailer, you may earn proprietary points that can be redeemed for cash or other goods. In this case, Sears has something called “Shop Your Way Rewards” where they essentially give you 1% back in points. You can see it in the picture above. By purchasing this particular item, you get 6250 points. This translates to $6.25 off of a subsequent purchase. For this example , I’m going to count this as a portion off the price.
OK…another $6.25 off. Still got more to do!
Online Specific Deals
Now this particular item has something even better…stackable deals! Not only is it on sale, you can apply a coupon, but it’s also eligible for additional offers! Check this out:
- Members get an additional $10 back in points when you purchase this Kenmore cooking appliance! Offer ends 15-Oct-2013
- Online Only! Extra Savings Event! Extra 10% off appliances over $399! Sold by Sears. Offer ends 12-Oct-2013
Boom! Another $10 and another 10% off! *
* Yeah, to be honest, I’m not sure about the extra 10%. It doesn’t show up for me when you try to checkout. I may need to call Sears and complain. I imagine the $10 would just post later to your account. If not, again, call and complain normally works.
Stop asking. We’re not done.
I’m sure you’ve seen this before. Perhaps you’ve had a falling out with a company and haven’t shopped there for some time? What do they do? They normally send you some targeted promo offer. Check out this Slickdeals thread.
Sears gave away random points to most customers. I ended up getting $7!
You have been awarded $7 worth of surprise points (7,000 points) to your account for being our valued member.
|HURRY! These points are valid 10/10/13 – 10/16/13.
You can redeem them towards any Sears purchase, in store or online.
Credit Card Bonuses
OK, last thing, I promise. If you have a Discover card, Sears offers 5% cashback. *
* Note that if you use this, results are guaranteed to work because their offer notes state, “not available with other offers”, I assume this means because you used a coupon it won’t work. Worth a shot though. Also, if you do this, you cannot use BigCrumbs/eBates. You can only use one “affiliate” rebate per item; Discover is an affiliate rebate.
This is additiion to the 5% off all online shopping from Oct-Dec ’13!
Total Deal Breakdown
- MSRP: $900
- Sale: $675 ($225; 25% off)
- Coupon: $625 ($50; 7.5% off!)
- Invitation Rewards: $618 ($7; 1% off)
- Affiliate Rebate: $609 ($8.65; 1.4% off)
- Credit Card Bonus: $578 ($31; 5% off)
- Merchant Points: $572 ($6.25; 1% off)
- Online Bonus: $562 ($10; 1% off)
That’s 38% off MSRP now! By doing all the little tricks, you can save an additional $113…for doing NEXT TO NOTHING EXTRA! Behold the power of stackable deals! Heck, if you complain enough, you might be able to take an extra 10% off…because that’s what the website says…
Hope that helps! See you on Black Friday!